Saturday, April 14, 2012

library week

Book: D.W.'s Library Card by Marc Brown

This book is a great way to introduce the library to little ones. You can talk about how to get a library book, checking out materials, renewing, and taking care of library books.
Activity: practicing writing names

For this story I was able to interest my little girl in starting to learn how to write her name. She can recognize it and tell you how to spell it, but she hasn't been really interested in writing it. She loves the library though so writing her name to get her own card has been a good motivation. I wrote it in a light colored pencil. Then I had her grip the pencil while I helped her trace the letters. Eventually, we'll work up to having her trace it or write it on her own. Then work on her full name like in the book.

Snack: bookworms

I love this idea from Sweet Serendipity!
Photobucket

0 comments:

about this blog

Welcome to the early bird book club! It's important for children to be exposed to high-quality books from birth. The focus of the Early Bird Book Club blog is to find high-quality books and activities for early childhood. There are lots of suggestions, but you should pick and choose whatever will fit your child the best!

About Me

My Photo
dshrock
I am a wife, mom, teacher, and student. I love my husband, daughter, son, and pug! I'm currently finishing a doctorate in curriculum and instruction with an emphasis in reading from Baylor University, but also have degrees in elementary ed and school counseling from The University of Tulsa. I've taught in Memphis and Waco. We are now living in the dorms at a boarding school in Oklahoma for junior and senior high school students where my husband teaches.
View my complete profile
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.