Thursday, April 5, 2012

caterpillars and ordinal numbers

Book:


Activity: pom pom number caterpillars
This book is great for practicing ordinal numbers! I printed off numbers 1 to 10 and had my daughter make her own caterpillars on the numbers. While she did this we talked about ordinal numbers: which one is first, second, third, etc. I didn't have her glue them because I want her to be able to do this activity again if she wants.

Snack: candypillars

I found a cute idea from the Celebration Shoppe to use rollos and M&M's, but I wanted something a little healthier. I used banana slices and the white chocolate M&M's. I used peanut butter to stick the candy on, but Nutella would be good too I bet.

5 components of reading suggestions:
{phonemic awareness}
have your early bird break up the word "caterpillar" into it's syllables; practice clapping, stomping, snapping, and counting the syllables
{phonics}
point out to your early bird the "r"s in caterpillar change the sound of the e and a; have your early bird find other words that the r changes it's sound, for example: horn, bird, garden, butterfly, cardinal
{fluency}
have your early bird help you read the first part of each page; "the ___ little caterpillar"
{vocabulary}
have your early bird practice recognizing ordinal numbers; print off the words or numbers and put in order
{comprehension}
quiz your early bird on what each caterpillar did

0 comments:

about this blog

Welcome to the early bird book club! It's important for children to be exposed to high-quality books from birth. The focus of the Early Bird Book Club blog is to find high-quality books and activities for early childhood. There are lots of suggestions, but you should pick and choose whatever will fit your child the best!

About Me

My Photo
dshrock
I am a wife, mom, teacher, and student. I love my husband, daughter, son, and pug! I'm currently finishing a doctorate in curriculum and instruction with an emphasis in reading from Baylor University, but also have degrees in elementary ed and school counseling from The University of Tulsa. I've taught in Memphis and Waco. We are now living in the dorms at a boarding school in Oklahoma for junior and senior high school students where my husband teaches.
View my complete profile
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.