Sunday, March 18, 2012

making rainbows


Book: The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow by Joanna Cole

Activity: flashlight rainbows
This activity was inspired by the book. We used flashlights and colored plates to make rainbows and talk about how the white light goes through the colored plate to make colors on the walls. Cellophane would also work.



Snack: fruit rainbows
This is a popular activity on Pintrest, but a good one. I wrote the color words on the rainbow stripes to help practice recognition. We used fruit that I thought my daughter would eat, but there's a lot of choices.
This is my daughter's version.
5 components of reading suggestions:
{phonemic awareness}
have your early bird replace the onsets {r} in rain and {l} in light to make new words with the rimes -ain and -ight
{phonics}
have your early bird identify words with long a and long i sounds
{fluency}
this book is pretty long and detailed so it would be a great one to read aloud to your early bird
{vocabulary}
have your early bird practice recognizing color words
{reading comprehension}
use rainbow colored sticky notes to mark pages with questions for your early bird

0 comments:

about this blog

Welcome to the early bird book club! It's important for children to be exposed to high-quality books from birth. The focus of the Early Bird Book Club blog is to find high-quality books and activities for early childhood. There are lots of suggestions, but you should pick and choose whatever will fit your child the best!

About Me

My Photo
dshrock
I am a wife, mom, teacher, and student. I love my husband, daughter, son, and pug! I'm currently finishing a doctorate in curriculum and instruction with an emphasis in reading from Baylor University, but also have degrees in elementary ed and school counseling from The University of Tulsa. I've taught in Memphis and Waco. We are now living in the dorms at a boarding school in Oklahoma for junior and senior high school students where my husband teaches.
View my complete profile
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.